I have wanted to go to Oregon ever since the first time I laid eyes on pictures of it’s beauty. It’s lush and green and reminded me so much of Prince Edward Island; which thanks to Anne of Green Gables, I am in love with. From the lighthouses to the waterfall’s, to the heavy pines I just felt like there was nothing more beautiful.

My Mom’s best friend who is also named Ane, has lived in Oregon for many years and my mom has never been able to make it out there to see her. She has always wanted to and just like me has dreamt of the beauty. So this year we made the dream come true.

I took the boys and flew out to meet my parents on June 11th. Andy had been out of town like crazy and was leaving to Chicago to be out of town somemore, so he was gonna meet us there on the 14th.

My flight started out rough. Watson threw a major fit (that was a first on a plane for me). He was exhausted and hungry. Not a good mixture for him..let alone anyone. I finally got him to calm down after much embarrassment and then we were off and they were amazing the rest of the flight. THANK GOODNESS for electronics.

IMG_6149IMG_6150 When we got there, my parents picked us up and we went to go eat. After that we were off to stay at Ane’s house for a few days.  When we got there, it was late and it was especially late for the boys and I since we are two hrs. later, so we went straight to our room and went to bed. That morning we woke up and got to experience all the beauty. It was gorgeous! Her backyard was like a kids/adults heaven. It had amazing landscaping and every kid toy you could imagine. Both indoors and outdoors.

This panoramic gives you a little idea of the beauty



The boys went outside, saw all the action and went straight to it. That day happened to be beautiful, probably the best weather day. They played for a while and then we went to church for a bit and came back and played some more. The whole time we were there, the tv was never turned on. They were outside from sun up to sun down.

Ane’s granddaughters lived at her house and the boys had a ball playing with them. It was so nice to feel like I barely needed to watch them.

dead man, dead man come alive

The only time the boys would come in the house was to see this dog ( Kobe) They loved him.
Sunday evening, Ane made a delicious dinner and we got to eat it outside. The weather was perfect. Unfortunately as we were eating dinner, Ane got word that one of her friends passed away. He had been in the hospital with cancer and they thought the time was nearing. Her and her husband Mark had to take off to help the spouse of their friend and were busy with that situation much of the time we were there. They were really the only “family” the wife had. She was from Africa.

We obviously were still able to enjoy our stay. We just showed ourselves around Portland. On Monday we went into the city and ate at a fun little place that I now can’t remember the name of. The weather was bad that day and started pouring the minute we got into the city. Our plans were to go and eat at the food trucks downtown, but that didn’t work out with the weather.

It did however stop for a bit after we were done eating and we explored a bit.

The River walk
The weather was much too cold for us Texans, so we decided to head over to Voodoo donuts. All of us had heard much hype over Voodoo Donuts, but I gotta say, it just wasn’t my favorite. We try donuts on most vacations we go on. These were by far my least favorite. They were dry and the flavors just weren’t great. But Hey maybe we hit it on a bad day.



After Voodoo, we went back to Ane’s. The boys were dying to get back and with the weather my parents and I were ready too.

The next day was Tuesday and My sister Liz and her two kids, along with my brother Matt were driving from Utah.

They arrived that afternoon and we met up with them. We rented a house that wasn’t too far away from Ane’s and were packing up from Ane’s to go stay at the rental. I was a bit concerned how the boys would go from such a fun house to a different place, but they were still happy at the new place.

It was a whole different kind of fun. The place was full of speakers, a projector, shutters that you can open and close with a remote, nice bedrooms, amazing bathrooms and showers and a hot tub.


Andy got in really late Tuesday night and came straight to the house and crashed. But the next day he was up and rolling at 6 am while the rest of us slept in until 9. Ha!

On Wednesday we went out to breakfast at a yummy place called Marco’s Cafe

And it had umbrellas on the ceiling.IMG_6253IMG_6252

and then made our journey to Multanomah Falls

PC: Liz Ostler
The Falls were magical. They were gigantic!

Beka iPhone (252)Beka iPhone (255)

Beka iPhone (248)
The trees had moss all over them. They were so pretty!
Beka iPhone (256)

At first we thought we were just going to hike up to the bridge. But when we got up there, which wasn’t very far, some of us decided to do the longer hike which was just over a mile. When I was beginning to start on the hike, a girl coming down looked at me and said, ” If I were you, I wouldn’t try to make that hike, it’s quite difficult.” I can’t lie, her comment made me want to make the hike even more. I thanked her for her concern and then kept on going. I continued to pass people that had something to say. “Are you trying to have that baby right now? One more switchback and you’ll definitely be having that baby.” and “You are my hero” I was surprised at how many people noticed I was pregnant and had something to say about it. And quite honestly after doing the hike, I’m still not quite sure what all the fuss was about. Don’t get me wrong, my buns were DEFINITELY burning and I was slower than the others. (my sweet neice stayed with me the whole time) But I made it! I had to of course take a picture at the top. Going down was a bit more tricky as I had much pressure on my belly and it had started to rain so the ground was wet and slippery, but it worked out.  When we were getting towards the bottom, it started to pour down rain. It barely even touched us though because the trees were so thick. It was pretty cool.

Once we got down and out of the trees we saw it was pouring buckets. Andy and Liz ran to get the cars and we were off.


We went to Beaches for dinner which was on the Washington side of the Columbia River. It was a long wait, but good food and a good view. We were even lucky enough to catch this amazing sunset.

Beka iPhone (261)

We got home late that night, but the kiddos and Matt got in the hot tub for a bit and then we were off to bed.

The next morning we woke up late, and ate some delicious French toast casserole that Lauren made, got ready and then set out on the two hour trip to Cannon Beach.

By the time we got there, we were already ready for lunch. We ate at a place called Mo’s that was pretty good (seafood) and it had a seaside view.


Cannon Beach was beautiful! Unlike any beach I have been to before. The weather as I have mentioned is a bit chilly there, so I didn’t plan for getting in the water at all. I regretted that very quickly cuz the boys just couldn’t resist and before you know it, their pants and shoes were soaking wet and filthy. I tried to stop them many times, knowing that we still had more to see and were a long way from home, but I finally gave up.



27 weeks

Jumping in the sand is always a must. ( you can see the filthy pants here the best)
After the beach, we stopped in to see the cute lil shops and the cute lil town. We stopped in a vinegar shop that had all sorts of delicious vinegars that you would taste test with a piece of bread. The vinegars were so good, even the boys loved them.

We also stopped into a little candy shop and got some candy. The little town was starting to shut down at just 5:00 so we hit the road and went back.


When we got back we just ate at home and everyone jumped in the hot tub.

A bunch of crazies

Oh Lauren… such a crack up

That night was another late night ( 1:00 am Texas time) but an early night for Andy and my mom who weren’t feeling well and had the chills.

We all slept in till 9:00 again the next morning and luckily Andy and my mom woke up feeling a bit better. We ate breakfast and then hit the road for another 2 hr. trek to the Tilamook Cheese Factory. We stopped and ate lunch at a taco food truck down the road from Tilamook. Wasn’t my fav. But it fed me. ๐Ÿ™‚

When you first arrive at the cheese factory, they send you to a cheese bar where you can taste their different cheeses. MMMM… if there is anything I crave while pregnant, it’s cheese.

Beka iPhone (303)
This one is the squeaky cheese. My FAV! Not Nixon’s so much.

Beka iPhone (305)
Checking out al the cheese

Beka iPhone (308)
And of course the ice cream at the end

Beka iPhone (309)
Nixon doesn’t typically love ice cream, but he loved Tilamook’s
After Tilamook’s we went over to the Cape Meare lighthouse that was close by. I was a bit disappointed in the sixe of the lighthouse (very small), but it was still interesting to see.

Beka iPhone (310)-1
Walking down to the lighthouse

Beka iPhone (315)
A cute lil guy bringing me a flower. ( As you can see the handsome man in the back sent him) ๐Ÿ™‚
img_7083 Beka iPhone (323)

Beka iPhone (320)
The inside of the lighthouse

The view
img_7076Beka iPhone (324)

Beka iPhone (329)
This tree called the Octopus Tree was across from the lighthouse and is estimated to be 250-300 years old
After Cape Meares, we got back on the road. On our way home, we had to stop at Killer Burger which is the home of the peanut butter hamburger. I gotta say, it was pretty darn good.

Beka iPhone (330)

The next day everyone was heading off in different directions. Most everyone was heading home except my little family. We cleaned the house, packed up, went to lunch and said our goodbyes. My families flight wasn’t leaving until the next day ( Father’s Day), sp we had some time to kill.

We went to our hotel, got settled in a bit and then went and saw Finding Dory

Beka iPhone (332)
Our famous photo booth pics
After the movie, we grabbed some take out from a thai type place called Pok Pok. I didn’t love it. ( and I love Thai) but Andy really liked it. Afterwards we went to the famous Salt n Straw that everyone told us to go to.

There was a super long line and it was late at night, but we held out. They have a ton of crazy flavors there like pickle icecream and lavender just to give a couple examples. But we got some pretty good flavors. My favorite was the salted caramel. MMM.

Beka iPhone (333)
Andy lookin good in Watson’s hat
The next day was Father’s Day and our flight back home. I felt so bad that we’d be flying on Andy’s day. We got up and ate breakfast at the hotel, packed up and then headed to the airport.

I tried to do a little bit for Father’s Day and let Andy sit alone on the plane and the boys weren’t allowed to bother him. So he slept and worked the whole flight, but that was the best I could do.

We did however have presents for him at home and gave those to him. A pretty lame day for him, but it was all I could do. Next year will be better.

Beka iPhone (335)Beka iPhone (336)

Well Portland it was nice meeting you. Until next time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s